There is no easier way to add a little summer fun to your wardrobe than with a pair of DIY pom pom sandals. These Grecian goddesses have been blowing up everyone’s Instagram feeds this year from the runways to the music festival scene. And with good reason, they’re colorful, cheerful, almost like an insta-vacation; Aegean Sea anyone?
I was lucky enough to go to Greece for the first time when I was 21. It remains one of my favorite places and one of the most surreal places I’ve ever been. While it’s the land of ancient treasures, the colors are what I remember most, vivid and intense. The sea is the most brilliant blue; the whitewashed houses dotting the Oia cliffs are the purest white. It feels heavenly.
So when the Elina Linardaki gladiator sandals began popping up everywhere earlier this year, I was instantly transported back to that magical place. Not to mention, the pom poms and tassels are a DIY’er dream!
DIY Pom Pom Sandals
What you need:
- lace up sandals (similar, similar)
- assorted pom poms (and/or pom pom trim that I found at a local fabric store!)
- embroidery thread
- Cut embroidery floss in half horizontally. Set aside 4 pieces of string.
- Using one of those pieces, tie a double knot in the middle of your embroidery floss. Fold in half.
- Tie another piece of string about 1/2 inch from the top of the floss. Cut off excess.
ADD YOUR FLAIR
- Glue on pom poms. Tie on your tassels.